Sclerotherapy effectively treats varicose and spider veins. It’s often considered the treatment of choice for small varicose veins.
Sclerotherapy involves injecting a solution into the vein which causes a reaction that destroys the vessel wall. Sclerosis (hardening) of the vein then results and blood can no longer travel through it. Eventually, the vein disappears. We cannot treat you if you are pregnant. Let us know if you are breastfeeding. Spider Veins are considered cosmetic and are not covered by (OHIP).
If you wish to have the treatment performed, please note the following in preparation:
- Do not apply lotion or shave your legs 1 day prior to appointment.
- Bring a pair of shorts, compression stockings, and a loose-fitting pair of pants.
- Don’t come on an empty stomach – have something to eat.
For best results, avoid the following for 3-5 days prior to injection:
- Omega 3, Ginseng, Garlic, Vitamin E, St. John’s Wort
- Aspirin (unless you are taking it heart or stroke condition)
- NSAIDS (non-steroidal anti-inflammatories) such as Advil, Motrin, Ibuprofen
- Alcohol (48hours)
- If you are taking blood thinners, prednisone or steroids, we may be unable to treat.
- Avoid high-impact exercises, alcohol and anti-inflammatories (e.g. Advil, aspirin – unless
taken for heart disease) for 24hr
- Avoid sun exposure for 2-4 weeks (apply sunscreen)
- Avoid hot baths/showers for 7 days
- Wear compression stockings for 1-2 weeks (if applicable)